York’s coolest annual event, York Ice Trail, returns for 2023 with a new theme – A Journey Through Time – and we couldn’t be more excited. Time Travel to prehistoric ages, walk through history and step into the future at this hugely popular free event, taking place on Saturday 4th and Sunday 5th February 2023.
The first look at one of this year’s sculptures has been revealed. Photographed by Charlotte Graham in Museum Gardens, with the backdrop of the historic St Mary’s Abbey, Make It York’s ‘A Journey Through Time’ is one of 36 sculptures set to line York’s historic streets during York Ice Trail.
Head to Middletons’ world of mythology
The grounds of Middletons Hotel will be transformed into a mystical world of mythology, including four show-stopping ice sculptures and plenty of photo opportunities throughout the day. York Gin, City Cruises York and The Potions Cauldron will be on site, with crafts, competitions and surprise creatures. Their sister property, The Judges Lodgings, will also feature a spectacular ice sculpture. Make sure you check out the famous Thwaites Shire Horses in all their finery too.
Trains, buses and more
This year is a big one for anniversaries in York. The National Railway Museum will be celebrating the centenary of the Flying Scotsman, with their interactive sculpture. While the Grand Opera House celebrate 121 years of making magic and LNER will mark their 100-year milestone with their sculptures too. ‘Busloads to Love’ by main sponsor York Park & Ride gives you the chance to be the driver and get a selfie. The sculpture, celebrating the importance of the bus in public transport, will be situated on St Helen’s Square. Travel from York to London with Grand Central’s spectacular Skyline sculpture, or transport into another space and dimension with Hiscox’s adventure-bound sit-on space shuttle. For those wanting to go back to the future, don’t miss Ate O’Clock’s DeLorean-inspired ‘ATEY ATE Miles Per Hour’ sculpture.
York is renowned for its rich chocolate heritage, which will be brought to the ice with York’s Chocolate Story’s working Terry’s Clock Tower – with a hot chocolate twist! Learn more about York’s history with York BID’s six sculptures, all inspired by York’s fascinating historical figures that can be found on the York Quest app.
Live ice sculpting
There’ll be live ice carving across the weekend at St Sampson’s Square with Icebox, where you can see for yourself how ice sculptors bring the ice trail to life. Plus, there’s a chance to win some cash with YorkMix’s Casha-saurus T-Rex, who can be found on Parliament Street across the weekend.
Full list of sculptures and where to find them
- – A Journey Through Time, Parliament Street – Provided by Make It York
- – Growing The Future, Parliament Street – Provided by Dalby Forest
- – Cash-asaurus T-Rex, Parliament Street – Provided by YorkMix Radio
- – York to London Skyline, Parliament Street – Provided by Grand Central
- – ATEY ATE Miles Per Hour, High Ousegate – Provided by Ate O’Clock
- – 121 years of making magic, Spurriergate – Provided by Grand Opera House York
- – Every Moment Matters, North Street – Provided by Park Inn
- – Where ever I lay my hat…. , Station Rise – Provided by The Grand, York
- – 100 years of LNER, Station Road – Provided by LNER
- – York Quest App: The Roman, Micklegate – Provided by York BID
- – The Enchanted Unicorn, Middletons – Provided by Hole In Wand
- – Ginny the Dragon, Middletons – Provided by York Gin
- – 20,000 Leagues Under the Ouse, Middletons – Provided by City Cruises
- – The Monstrous Chimera, Middletons – Provided by Middletons
- – York Quest App: The Butcher, Kings Staith – Provided by York BID
- – Coppergate Viking, Coppergate Centre – Provided by Coppergate Centre
- – E.T. COMES HOME, Piccadilly – Provided by Spark: York
- – York Quest App: Dick Turpin, Walmgate – Provided by York BID
- – Adventure Is Out There, The Stonebow – Provided by Hiscox
- – York’s Chocolate Story Clock, Kings Square – Provided by York’s Chocolate Story
- – Erupted Volcano, Grape Lane – Provided by Lucia Bar
- – The York Rose Diamond by Kay Bradley, Low Petergate – Provided by Bradley’s Jewellers, York
- – Minus 200 Degrees Coffee, Low Petergate – Provided by 200 Degrees Coffee
- – York Quest App: Anne Lister, Goodramgate – Provided by York BID
- – Gothic Grotesque, Minster Piazza – Provided by York Minster
- – Celebrating 100 years of Flying Scotsman, High Petergate – Provided by National Railway Museum
- – York Quest App: Guy Fawkes, Gillygate – Provided by York BID
- – The Pearly Cow, Clifton – Provided by No.1 Guesthouse
- – Layers of Time, Exhibition Sq – St Leonard’s Place – Provided by North York Moors National Park
- – York Quest App: Wally Herbert, Museum Street – Provided by York BID
- – Ryedale Roman Hoard, Museum Gardens – Provided by Yorkshire Museums Trust
- – Greek Minotaur, Lendal – Provided by The Judge’s Lodging
- – Busloads to love! St Helen’s Square – Provided by York Park & Ride
- – The Bettys Express Train, Davygate – Provided by Bettys
- – Fire Breathing Dinosaur, St Sampson’s Square – Provided by Cut and Craft
- – Live Carving, St Sampson’s Square – Provided by York Ice Trail
York Ice Trail 2023 – 4th and 5th February 2023 – Free