Move over apple: there's a new crumble on the block! This strawberry crumble is perfect for using up those strawberries that are just past their best but can still be transformed into something totally delicious. Feel free to add in some other fruit, too.
For the fruity bit
- 800g strawberries, stalks removed and quartered
- 3 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Zest of one lemon
- A couple of drops of vanilla essence
For the crumble
- 150g rolled oats
- 50g ground almonds (optional - you can replace these with 50g rolled oats)
- 100g cold butter
- Zest of an orange/satsuma (optional but nice)
- 90g light brown sugar
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees fan/gas mark 6.
2. Put all of the quartered strawberries into a medium ovenproof pie dish or tin.
3. Add the 3 tablespoons of sugar, vanilla and zest to the strawberries and mix well.
4. Make the crumble topping: Put all of the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. Cut the butter into smaller blocks and then rub it into the dry ingredients by hand until you have a breadcrumb-type mixture (don't worry if you can still see some small bits of butter though).
5. Pour the crumble mixture on top of the fruit mixture and press gently, but don't flatten.
6. Bake in the oven for around 30 minutes, until cooked through, slightly golden on top and bubbling at the edges.
7. Enjoy with cream, ice cream or whatever you like!
The best of York and beyond for families, Straight to your inbox every week.