Celebrate the spookiest time of year by whipping up a batch of these butter biscuits with your little monsters. This recipe makes a big batch of butter biscuits - either use the whole lot or divide into two and put half in the freezer for a later date. You can decorate them like mummies, zombies or any other creepy character.
For the biscuits
- 250g butter, softened (salted or unsalted)
- 140g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg yolk or a tablespoon of milk
- 375g plain flour
For the decoration (or you can use shop-bought icing - we did!)
150g icing sugar
A little water
Any other decorations of your choice, eg googly eyes
1. In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. You can do this by hand or with a mixer.
2. Add the vanilla and egg or milk and mix well
3. Add the flour bit by bit and mix until it comes together as a firm dough
4. Put the dough ball into the fridge for an hour (or break into two and put half in the freezer at this point)
5. Roll out the dough on a floured surface and cut into shapes of your choice.
6. Bake for 10 - 12 minutes until golden (they may not look completely done but they will firm up as they cool)
7. Transfer to a rack and allow to cool totally before decorating
8. Make the icing by adding a tablespoon or so of water to the icing sugar, then pipe onto the biscuits using an icing bag with a nozzle. Add any other decorations, like googly eyes, for a super spooky effect
The best of York and beyond for families, Straight to your inbox every week.