This is a base cookie recipe that you can jazz up with different flavours and additions however you like. Our kids always insist on adding chunks of chocolate, but you could also add a handful of nuts, some raisins, a sprinkle of cinnamon or some orange zest.
100g softened butter
100g caster sugar
150g self-raising flour
1 egg beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Any other ingredients, eg chopped up chocolate
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180c/350f/gas 4 and line a couple of baking trays with greaseproof paper.
2. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together (mix fast until white and fluffy). You can use an electric whisk, wooden spoon or food mixer.
3. Add the other ingredients and mix until it forms a dough.
4. Break off walnut sized balls of dough and put them on the tray, leaving space between them. Flatten slightly.
5. Bake for 12 - 15 minutes until starting to go golden. Let them cool on the tray for a couple of minutes, then move onto a tray to cool completely.
The best of York and beyond for families, Straight to your inbox every week.