We tried making hot cross buns but didn't have the patience (and those crosses are a lot harder to do than they look!). So we made some rock buns instead and now they're a family favourite. The kids love making them and eating them warm from the oven.
- 350g plain flour
- 100g light brown sugar
- 175g butter
- 150g raisins
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
1. Pre-heat the oven to 190 degrees and line a baking tray.
2. In a large bowl, put the flour, baking powder, sugar and spices.
3. Rub in the butter until it looks like fine breadcrumbs. Do this by hand or with a mixer.
4. Stir in the raisins.
5. Add the beaten egg to the dry mixture, then a tablespoon or two of milk if necessary, until the mixture becomes a stiff dough.
6. Using your hands or a spoon, put around 12 little cakes onto the baking tray. Sprinkle with a little extra sugar if you like.
7. Put in the oven for around 20 minutes (keep an eye on them from 15 minutes). They should go golden on top and smell delicious.
8. Cool on a wire rack for as long as you can resist them.
The best of York and beyond for families, Straight to your inbox every week.