This is a tasty way to get more veg into your kids. The garlicky breadcrumbs make it deliciously moreish. Use any type of pasta that you’ve got in the house.
- Enough pasta for the amount of people you’re cooking for; any variety
- 1 clove of garlic per person, crushed
- One head of broccoli (or more if cooking for more than four), chopped into edible chunks
- Two or three tablespoons of olive oil
- A handful of grated cheese per person
- Three thick slices of bread
- Grated lemon zest (optional)
1. Make the garlic breadcrumbs: break the bread into breadcrumbs by hand or using a blender. Add oil to a pan over a low heat then add the garlic and breadcrumbs. Fry gently, stirring over a low heat until crispy. Remove from heat.
2. Make the pasta according to the packet instructions. Five minutes before the pasta is ready, cook the broccoli briefly in a separate pan so it’s starting to soften but with a bit of crunch and still bright green. Drain.
3. Drain the pasta then tip back into the warm pan. Add the broccoli, a bit of extra oil or butter, lemon zest (if using), 3/4 of the breadcrumbs and seasoning. Stir well.
4. Tip into bowls then top with remaining crumbs and cheese.
The best of York and beyond for families, Straight to your inbox every week.