This is a firm crowd-pleaser in our house. Pasta and cheese - what's not to love? Makes one big dish that feeds our family of five.
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 600ml milk
- 225g macaroni (or other pasta)
- 1 tsp English mustard (optional but a nice addition)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 200g cheddar cheese, grated (plus a little extra for topping)
1. Boil the pasta according to packet instructions, then drain.
2. Pre-heat the oven to 200c/gas 6.
3. Make the sauce: melt butter in a saucepan. Add the flour, then stir over a low heat with a wooden spoon to make a paste. Stir it for two minutes and remove it from the heat.
4. Beat the milk into the paste a bit at a time to ensure the sauce is smooth, using a whisk or wooden spoon.
5. Return pan to a low heat, stirring it until it boils and thickens. Reduce the heat and add the cheese, mustard, lemon juice and seasoning.
6. Mix the pasta and sauce together, then transfer to a buttered ovenproof dish/tin. Top with more cheese, then bake for 20 - 30 minutes (golden on top).
The best of York and beyond for families, Straight to your inbox every week.