Here's another fun Halloween activity with the added bonus of something to eat at the end of it: Halloween bats made from Oreos. All you need is some milk chocolate, a packet of Oreos and some edible googly eyes (available in bigger supermarkets like Tesco and Morrisons). Adjust the measurements according to how many you want to end up with - we used about half a packet of Oreos and half a block of milk chocolate to make five. We tried a couple of ways of coating them with chocolate, and they were both equally messy so just find a way that works for you! We just coated the front with chocolate, but you can dip the whole thing in if you like, too, for maximum chocolatey-ness. Fancy making something else spooky? Try our Halloween bark recipe or Worms in Soil.
- 50g milk chocolate, broken into pieces
- A packet of Oreos (you'll have some left over at the end)
- Edible googly eyes
1. Melt the milk chocolate in a bowl according to your microwave's instructions.
2. For each bat, remove the back from an Oreo and scrape off the cream. Keep one circle as the front of the bat and break the other in half to create two wings.
3. Dip the circle that will become the front of your bat into the chocolate to coat it.
4. Carefully use a little bit of melted chocolate to stick the wings to the back of the bat. Place on a flat surface (we used a chopping board) and add the googly eyes. Allow to set, and then enjoy!
The best of York and beyond for families, Straight to your inbox every week.