This is a lovely soup, very easy to make and is a good way to get some green veg into your kids. Frozen peas are the star of the show, so it's budget-friendly too. Feel free to adapt it as you like - sometimes we add some courgette or other green veg that's lurking in the fridge. It's good with herbs too - mint or basil work well. Grown-ups like it with a pinch of salt on top and a drizzle of olive oil, while kids love it with grated cheese on top.
- Two cloves of garlic, sliced or crushed
- 500g frozen peas
- 750g vegetable stock
- A handful of fresh herbs - basil or mint - if you like
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
1. In a large pan, heat the olive oil and gently fry the garlic until it's soft but not browning.
2. Add the peas and vegetable stock, bring to the boil and then simmer for a few minutes until the peas are cooked. Don't overcook it or it will lose its vibrant green colour.
3. Blend until smooth using a handblender or processor.
The best of York and beyond for families, Straight to your inbox every week.