Another classic biscuit to make with kids, this gingerbread recipe was given to us by our friends at The Balloon Tree and it works every time. Go traditional and make a family of ginger people or get creative and make whatever shapes you like.
- 170g self-raising flour
- 300g caster sugar
- 57g butter
- 1 egg (beaten)
- 50g/1 tbsp golden syrup (warmed in a small pan and then cooled)
- 4g or 1 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3g bicarbonate of soda
- Whatever you like to decorate
1. Pre-heat oven to 160c.
2. Cream together (mix fast with a wooden spoon or electric mixer) the butter and sugar until white and fluffy. Add the egg and golden syrup.
3. Mix the remaining ingredients in and stir until it makes a stiff dough. Bring together with your hands and then roll out onto a lightly floured surface. Cut out your shapes and put onto a lined baking tray, leaving space between them.
4. Put in the oven and bake for around 15 minutes until golden. Allow to cool on the tray, then decorate.
The best of York and beyond for families, Straight to your inbox every week.