If you're a fan of those massive birthday cookies you can buy, but less of a fan of the price, we've got good news! We've finally nailed a recipe that's just as good and is much cheaper. It's really easy to do, too, and tastes amazing. Go wild with the decorations and flavours - we're planning to use orange flavoured chocolate next time, and we'll add some orange zest to the dough. Delicious.
For the cookie
- 275g plain flour
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 115g butter (salted or unsalted)
- 100g light brown sugar
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 200g chocolate of your choice (chocolate buttons/chips/chopped up chocolate bar)
For the buttercream topping
- 55g unsalted butter, softened
- 150g icing sugar
- A few drops of vanilla extract
- Splash of milk
- Decorations of your choice
1. Pre-heat the oven to 190c/170c fan and line a 23cm cake tin with greaseproof paper (we line the bottom and grease the sides with butter).
2. In a saucepan, melt the butter with the two sugars, stirring constantly for a couple of minutes over a medium heat until well combined and smooth.
3. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes, then add the egg and vanilla and stir until well mixed.
4. You can do the next bit by hand or with an electric mixer: Add the wet ingredients to the remaining dry ingredients (including the chocolate) and mix well, bringing it together until it's combined to become cookie dough.
5. Press the dough into the tin, making sure that it's flat on top and pressed into the sides (use the back of a spoon).
6. Bake for around 20 minutes until it's starting to look golden and cooked on the top. Don't overcook or it will be dry.
7. Allow to cool in the tin for around 15 minutes, then cool on a wire rack.
8. When it's totally cool, decorate as you like. If you're making the buttercream, just beat all of the ingredients together until they come together as a smooth icing and then pipe. Enjoy!
The best of York and beyond for families, Straight to your inbox every week.