No collection of family baking recipes is complete without one for fairy cakes. Ideal for birthday parties, playdates or rainy days. Decorate however you like. We tend to knock up a butter cream and add sprinkles, but normal icing is great too. Get creative with colourings for extra pizzazz - as you can see from the pictures, we let the kids decorate ours!
For the cakes
- 100g self-rasing flour
- 90g caster sugar
- 100g soft, unsalted butter
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Small pinch of salt
For buttercream icing
- 300g icing sugar
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180c/160c fan/gas 4. Put 12 cupcake cases into a muffin/Yorkshire pudding tray.
2. Using a food mixer or wooden spoon and large mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter until very light and soft.
3. Add the flour to the bowl and mix. Add the eggs and vanilla, then mix again until everything is combined into a smooth batter.
4. Divide the mixture evenly between the cases, then put in the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. They should be golden on top and risen. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
5. To make the buttercream, just mix all the ingredients really well using a mixer or wooden spoon and elbow grease. Wait until the cakes are cold to decorate - let the kids get creative with the toppings.
The best of York and beyond for families, Straight to your inbox every week.