Our kids' go-to place for birthday tea is Pizza Express, so because we don't know when we'll next be able to visit, we thought we'd have a go at making our own dough balls. They're a total doddle to make and taste delicious: very soft and moreish. The garlic butter is a must, too. Eat them while they're still warm for the most authentic experience. This recipe makes 18 - 18 doughballs depending on how large you make them.
For the dough balls
- 175ml water
- 320g strong white bread flour
- 7g sachet dried yeast
- 1 tbsp white sugar
- 50g butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the garlic butter
- 1/2 clove garlic, crushed
- Couple of drops of olive oil
- 50g butter
(Double the quantity if you like a lot of garlic butter with your doughballs!)
Make the doughballs
1. Line a baking tray with silicone/greaseproof paper or just oil it lightly.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add the flour, yeast, sugar, salt and sugar.
3. Warm the water in a small pan until it's hot but not boiling. Add the butter and stir until it melts. Take off the heat and leave to cool down slightly for four or five minutes (it should still be warm).
4. Add the water/butter mixture to the dry ingredients and mix into a dough (add a touch more flour if it's too wet). Do this by hand or with a food mixer. Knead for five to ten minutes until it's a smooth dough.
5. Line a baking tray.
6. Divide the dough up into doughballs. Depending on their size, we get around 16 - 18 from this recipe. Allow enough space between them.
7. Put the tray in a warm place for around 45 minutes, by which time they should have almost doubled in size. Pre-heat the oven to 180/160 fan (gas 4).
8. Bake the doughballs for around 20-25 minutes (but keep checking from about 17 minutes as it will depend on the heat of your oven). They're ready when they're cooked through (the bottoms will have coloured) and started to go golden on top.
9. Make the garlic butter by mixing all the ingredients together in a little bowl. Add chopped fresh herbs if you're feeling posh.
10. Buon appetito!
The best of York and beyond for families, Straight to your inbox every week.