Give Father Christmas a break from traditional mince pies by leaving out one of our lovely mince pie muffins instead. They’re what you’d expect from a muffin, but with a subtle festive twist. Fingers crossed there are some left over for Christmas breakfast! Makes around 12 cupcake-sized muffins.
- 100ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 100g melted butter
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 200g self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 tablespoons mincemeat
- 1 ripe banana, mashed
- Zest of a satsuma (optional)
- Sprinkle of mixed spice
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200c/180 fan/gas 6
2. Melt the butter in a small pan.
3. In a large bowl, whisk the milk, eggs, butter and sugar (do this by hand or with an electric mixer).
4. Fold in the flour, baking powder, mincemeat, mixed spice, banana and zest (if using).
5. Stir until just mixed (don't overdo it).
6. Spoon the mixture evenly into cases (we put the cases into a Yorkshire pud tray to keep them in one place).
7. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until golden brown and springy to touch.
8. Allow to cool on the tray, then enjoy (but don't forget to save one for Santa)
The best of York and beyond for families, Straight to your inbox every week.