If you've got some sad-looking bananas in the fruit bowl, why not turn them into ice cream? Much easier than making banana bread, it's refreshing and healthy. Okay, so it's not Ben & Jerry's, but it's quick and easy and won't cause a crazy sugar spike.
- Ripe bananas (allow a couple of small/medium bananas per person, depending on how much you think your family will eat)
- A couple of tablespoons of cocoa powder (adjust, if you are adding more bananas)
- A tablespoon of peanut butter or other nut butter (optional)
1. Freeze the bananas (and remember to peel them first!). This'll take a couple of hours at least.
2. Once frozen, put the bananas in a food processor along with the other ingredients and whizz until smooth. Serve straight away or store in the freezer until you're ready to eat it. Note - you can't whizz the bananas with a standard blender as the bananas are so hard, so you could blend before freezing it OR let the bananas thaw a bit before you whizz them up. You can then re-freeze it if necessary. If you feel that it needs a little liquid, add a splash of nut milk or similar.
The best of York and beyond for families, Straight to your inbox every week.