This hearty soda bread is great hot out of the oven with soup. Feel free to add more in the way of flavourings, from sliced spring onion to olives, herbs or even some grated courgette (squeeze out the water before you add it). Don’t forget to top liberally with cheese - it’s the best bit!
- 400g self-raising flour
- 50g rolled oats
- 80g grated cheddar and more for the top
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 200ml plain yoghurt
- 100ml milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Pre-heat the oven to 200c/180 fan/gas 6. Line a baking tray with grease proof paper/silicone sheet.
2. Put all the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix until combined.
3. Add all the remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix well with a wooden spoon or your hands. Bring it together into a dough with your hands and form into a circle. Flatten slightly and slice across into six triangles (but keep them together). Sprinkle with cheese.
4. Bake for around 35 - 40 minutes, until golden on top and firm/crisp on the bottom. Slice into six triangles and eat warm.
The best of York and beyond for families, Straight to your inbox every week.