Our friends at The Dark Horse Espresso Bar have shared this lovely recipe for cheese and bacon rolls. Feel free to adapt as you like, as always, depending on what your family like and what you've got in the kitchen.
- 564g strong white bread flour
- 5.5g yeast (dry, instant)
- 17g salt
- 340g lukewarm water
- 8g sugar
- 5 rashers of bacon
- A couple of handfuls of grated cheese
1. In a large bowl, add the water, sugar, yeast and water and mix. Use a food mixer if you can, or do it by hand using a wooden spoon. Add the water, then mix/knead for 5 minutes.
2. Read the mixture for five minutes, then mix for a further three minutes.
3. Once it has formed a smooth dough, put it into a lightly oiled bowl and cover. Put in a warm place for two hours, until it's doubled in size.
4. Lightly flour a surface and remove the dough. Roll them up into 100g dough balls and leave to rest on a plate or tray for 30 minutes.
5. Pre-heat the oven to 180c.
6. Flatten the dough balls until they're around 1 inch thick (slightly thinner in the middle). Place them on a lightly greased or lined baking tray. Add cheese and bacon to the top of each one and bake for 20 minutes. Best served slightly warm.
The best of York and beyond for families, Straight to your inbox every week.