We've tried and tweaked a lot of muffin recipes and have finally come up with one that's perfect. Not too sweet, not greasy and absolutely delicious. We made these with blueberries, but you could easily swap out the berries and replace them with the same quantity of grated apple, raspberries banana or any other fruit of your choice. This recipe makes 12 good-sized muffins.
- 200g blueberries
- Small banana, mashed
- 2 eggs
- 100ml milk
- 100ml natural yoghurt
- 75ml sunflower oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 225g plain flour
- 100g wholemeal flour (or use all white flour)
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 100g brown sugar (more for sprinkling)
- Pinch of salt
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180c/350f/gas 4 and line a muffin tray with 12 muffin cases.
2. Break the eggs into a large mixing bowl, stir to break up, then add the milk, oil, yoghurt and vanilla. Add the fruit.
3. Add all the remaining ingredients and mix gently until it comes together. Don't overmix.
4. Divide the mixture between the cases, sprinkle the tops with sugar and put in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes. They should be golden and well risen. Cool in in the tray for a couple of minutes, then on a wire rack.
The best of York and beyond for families, Straight to your inbox every week.