While this recipe wouldn't win any prizes in a beauty contest, it's delicious and easy to make. Our seven-year-old makes it on her own (under supervision and with oven gloves) and likes to get creative with the toppings. We've included an idea for a sauce that we make with it, but add what you like. For a birthday, stick some candles in or even a sparkler. Sprinkles make it look prettier too!
For the bananas
- One banana per person
- Juice of half a lemon (more if baking more than two bananas)
For a chocolate sauce (quantity needed for each banana)
- One square of chocolate of your choice
- One tablespoon golden syrup
- Half a teaspoon of butter
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees
2. Brush each banana all over with lemon juice and place on a baking tray.
3. Bake for 20 minutes (the skin will be black and the flesh will be soft and delicious)
4. Using a small sharp knife, carefully cut the skin of the banana lengthways and open out.
5. While it's cooling slightly, make the sauce by combining all the ingredients in a small pan and melting together.
6. Pour onto the banana and add any other toppings you like. Enjoy!
The best of York and beyond for families, Straight to your inbox every week.