This is a bit of a cheat's crumble, cooking the crumble and fruit separately, but it means that you'll get a nice crisp topping (we can't stand a soggy topping) with lovely soft fruit underneath. It's a lovely pudding.
For the fruit
- 3 eating apples, peeled and in 2cm cubes
- 30g unsalted butter
- 30g brown sugar
- 150g blackberries
- Sprinkle of cinnamon
For the topping
- 130g plain flour
- 60g caster sugar
- 60g unsalted butter
- A handful of oats
1. Pre-heat the oven to 190c/190c/gas 5
2. Make the topping - In a large bowl, rub the 60g butter into the flour until it's like fine breadcrumbs, then mix in the sugar and oats.
3. Pour the topping mixture onto a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes or until starting to turn golden. Remove from oven but keep the oven on.
4. Make the fruit mixture - In a large pan, melt the 30g butter and then add the brown sugar. Stir until it melts.
5. Add the apples, blackberries and cinnamon to the pan and cook gently for around 10 minutes, until the fruit is starting to soften.
6. Pour the fruit mixture into a large dish, then top with the crumble topping.
7. Put the dish in the oven for around 15 minutes, then enjoy with cream, ice cream or anything else.
The best of York and beyond for families, Straight to your inbox every week.