Summer of Sport Day in York
As part of the ‘Summer of Sport’ events programme, a special open day is taking place in York city centre on Sunday 8th 2021 August with a variety of sports clubs and community groups coming together to showcase the sport and leisure activities residents can get involved with. Taking place from 11 am until 4.30 pm in St Sampson’s Square, residents are invited to come along to find out more about the city’s community sport and leisure offer, chat to providers and clubs and get involved in some fun taster activities with the chance to win prizes.
A series of sporty challenges will be available on the day for residents and visitors to take part in, with everything from a squash wall to rowing and cycling challenges and practicing football and hockey skills. Leisure providers and clubs taking part include:
– City of York Hockey Club – learn more about York’s Hockey Club and take part in their hockey goal scoring challenge
– York Sports Village – find out more about the York Sports Village facilities and join their rowing machine challenge
– Walx – Nordic Walking – learn more about using Nordic walking poles or how to walk for relaxation or fitness, whatever your fitness level.
– Open Country – Walking and Cycling – find out more about Open Country, who have over 30 years of experience in successfully organising and leading countryside activities for people with disabilities
– Wigginton Squash Club – take on the squash wall and find out more about how you can get involved with the club
– York City Football Club Foundation – find out more about York City Football Club Foundation and test your football skills with their ‘Keepy Uppy’ challenge
– GLL Better – learn more about the facilities here in York and take a turn on their spin bike challenge.
City York Council Walking and Cycling and Sport and Active Leisure – pick up a leaflet and find out where you can walk and cycle across the city. And talk to the sport and active leisure team about your local sport or physical activity provider.
Sunday 8th August 2021 – St Sampson’s Square, York – Free