Christmas is one of our favourite times to visit the Yorkshire coast, from windswept walks at Hunmanby at Fraisthorpe to bracing New Year swims (yes, really) and the fabulous lobster pot Christmas tree at Filey. This year there’s another reason to visit: Scarborough Lights, part of the new Scarborough Fair cultural festival. Here’s what you need to know.
What is Scarborough Lights?
New for 2023, Scarborough Lights will bring over 60 spectacular light installations from international and local artists to fourteen venues across Scarborough. Highlights will include a drone display at Scarborough Castle on 18th November and a Winter Lights Trail in Peasholm Park throughout the festival. Here’s what else you can look forward to:
– Scarborough Lights LED light tunnel (free!)
– Peasholm Park winter lights trail (ticketed) – Experience the magical Peasholm Park as you’ve never seen it before, with beautiful light artworks by internationally-renowned artists in an unforgettable setting. Ticketed event.
– Scarborough Castle exterior illumination (free!) – See Scarborough Castle’s keep lit up throughout the event.
– Drone display at Scarborough Castle (ticketed) – enjoy the first ever drone display in Scarborough and the first at an English Heritage property anywhere in the UK. It is also a unique chance to see the special Scarborough Castle illuminations up close.
– Scarborough Spa illuminations(free!) – See this iconic building up in lights for the duration of the event.
When is Scarborough Lights?
Scarborough Lights runs from 15th November to 23rd December 2023, with ticketed events taking place on various dates.