The barbecue sauce in this veg-packed dish gives it a lovely smoky taste. It makes a hearty lunch or tea that you can customise depending on what you all like to eat (eg. swap the kidney beans for a different type or leave out the red pepper). We make a veggie version using normal-sized veggie sausages chopped into chunks, but obviously you can use meat ones too.
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, sliced or crushed
1 red pepper, deseeded and cubed
6 sausages (normal or veggie)
1 tin kidney beans (or other beans of your choice)
1 tin white beans (eg cannellini/haricot)
1 tin chopped tomatoes
2 tablespoons BBQ sauce
2 tablespoons tomato puree
500ml stock (veggie or chicken)
Handful of frozen sweetcorn
Splash of oil
1. Cook the sausages according to the packet instructions (don't allow to brown too much or burn!), chop into chunks and then set aside.
2. In a large pan, heat the oil and then add the onion, garlic and red pepper. Cook for five to ten minutes over a medium heat, stirring all the time, until starting to soften.
3. Add the beans, tomato puree and other remaining ingredients to the pan. Add the sausage chunks.
4. Stir everything well and then bring to the boil (bubbling) for a minute or two. Turn down the heat and let everything simmer for around 20 minutes. Stir every so often, and add a splash of water if it's too thick.
5. Serve with whatever you like: rice, crusty bread, couscous or anything else you fancy
The best of York and beyond for families, Straight to your inbox every week.