No fiddling about trying to get sticky Rice Krispies into little paper cake cases - this recipe is the easiest way to knock up a batch of classic Rice Krispie cakes. Ideal for birthday parties or any get-together, they're guaranteed to please a crowd (especially if the average age of the crowd is under 11!). Decorate as you like depending on the occasion - Mini Eggs for Easter, edible Christmas glitter for the festive season or spooky sprinkles for Halloween.
- 100g butter (salted or unsalted)
- 275g milk chocolate
- 150g Rice Krispies
- 120g marshmallows, cut into small pieces
- Sprinkles/sweets of your choice to decorate
1. Grease and line the bottom of a 21cm/8 inch brownie tin with greaseproof paper.
2. Add the butter, marshmallows and 100g of the chocolate to a large pan. Melt over a low heat until it becomes a smooth mixture (this may take a few minutes but don't be tempted to whack up the heat!). Remove from the heat.
3. Pour the Rice Krispies into the pan and coat well so that all of the cereal is covered.
4. Pour the mixture into the lined tray and flatten it out, using the back of a spoon to make sure it's pressed into all the corners.
5. Melt the remaining chocolate in a microwave according to its instructions (it takes about 1 minute 30 seconds for ours to melt) or in a heatproof bowl above a pan of simmering water (adults only!).
6. Pour the chocolate over the Rice Krispie mixture evenly and spread with the back of a spoon again. Leave to set fully (this takes at least a couple of hours - be patient or they will still be sticky). Once it's set, cut into squares and enjoy.
The best of York and beyond for families, Straight to your inbox every week.