Apart from the fact that it tastes delicious - a bit like a Bakewell tart but in cake form - the best thing about this recipe is how quick and easy it is to knock together. Keep an eye on it so you don't overcook it (as you might be able to tell from the pictures, we left ours in slightly too long. It still tasted great though).
- 150g self-raising flour
- 150g softened butter
- 130g caster sugar
- 150g ground almonds
- 2 large eggs
- Pinch of salt
- A couple of drops of vanilla essence
- 125g raspberries
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180c/160c fan and line a cake tin (we used a 23cm one).
2. Put all of the ingredients except the raspberries into a mixing bowl and mix until it comes together and is light and fluffy. Add a splash of milk if it seems a bit dry (it will depend on the size of your eggs).
3. Put the mixture into the tin and push the raspberries into the mixture in a pattern of your choice!
4. Bake in the oven for 30 - 40 minutes (ours took 30 minutes but our oven is fierce, so it will depend). Take out and cool on a rack, then dust with icing sugar for maximum prettiness.
The best of York and beyond for families, Straight to your inbox every week.