There's nothing that brings our kids running down to the kitchen faster than the smell of a tray of brownies baking in the oven. We've tried and tweaked a few recipes and this is our favourite, making a batch of around 20 delicious, soft brownies. Watch out for the baking time - we'd suggest keeping a close eye on them from 15 minutes in the oven. The longer you leave them in, the harder they'll be (although still very tasty). Less time = more squidge.
- 200g unsalted butter
- 200g good quality dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 210g caster sugar
- 115g plain flour
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 50g walnuts
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
1. Pre-heat the oven to 190c/170c fan and line a traybake or similar tin (30cm x 20cm).
2. Put the butter and chocolate in a pan and melt gently over a medium heat. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
3. Put all the remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl, then add the chocolate/butter mixture. Mix well.
4. Pour into the tin and push to the edges, making sure the nuts aren't sticking out of the top.
5. Cook for between 16 and 20 minutes, keeping a close eye on them. The longer you leave them in, the more solid they will be. Leave to cool in the tin, then slice.
The best of York and beyond for families, Straight to your inbox every week.