This is a really useful savoury muffin recipe that you can adapt according to what you’ve got in the fridge. We always include cheese, but swap the veg around according to what we’ve got in. We often include half a head of cooked broccoli or a couple of handfuls of chopped spinach and a few chopped cherry tomatoes or sun dried tomatoes. Grated raw courgette would work too. Play around with it.
- 225g self-raising flour
- 175ml milk
- 50ml olive or flavourless oil
- 1 egg
- 100g grated cheddar and extra for the top
- Veg of your choice, eg. Half a head of broccoli and a few cherry tomatoes/spinach and sundried tomatoes etc.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 190c/gas 6 and oil a muffin tin (we use a deep muffin tin and get 11 muffins from this recipe).
2. Prepare the veg (pre-cook if necessary, eg. Broccoli) and grate/chop into fairly small pieces.
3. Put all the ingredients into a large bowl and stir until well mixed (but don’t over-stir). Season.
4. Fill each muffin hole with the mixture and transfer to the oven.
5. Bake in the oven for around 20 minutes, until golden on top and slightly firm. Delicious warm with a bowl of tomato soup.
The best of York and beyond for families, Straight to your inbox every week.