York Residents Festival is the annual opportunity for York residents to explore their city for free (or a lot less) and it’s back for 2023! Taking place on 28th and 29th January 2023, it’s just what we need to look forward to at the end of the bleakest time of the year. As usual, there’s plenty for families to enjoy, with over 100 attractions, events and offers to take advantage of, from free wizard golf at The Hole in Wand to free river cruises with City Cruises York or go on a family-friendly walking tour with The Wizard Walk of York! Beyond the walls, there’s free admission to Yorkshire Air Museum and Beningbrough Hall, both of which get the Little Vikings seal of approval.
There are also lots of offers on eating out at lovely places like Ambiente Tapas, Forest, Pho, PLush Cafe, The Grand, York, The Principal York and Heavenly Desserts. Visit the Visit York website for the latest offers. What’s more, there are offers at some great local shops, too
How it works
– York Residents’ Festival is open to all York Residents who have a valid YorkCard – you’ll need one card per person to gain free admission to attractions and benefit from the special offers.
– Pre-booking is required for some attractions, tours and events
– Some venues have limited free tickets and operate on a first come first serve basis
– Students studying in the city can also take part with a valid York student ID card.
York attractions taking part in this year’s Residents’ Festival
– Barley Hall – Saturday and Sunday. Pre-booking required.
– Bedern Hall – Saturday and Sunday. Pre-booking not required.
– Beningbrough Hall, Gallery and Gardens – Saturday and Sunday. Pre-booking not required.
– City Cruises – Saturday and Sunday; 11am, 12pm, 1pm, 2pm and 3pm. Free cruise. Pre-booking not required (first-come, first-served basis).
– Clifford’s Tower – Saturday and Sunday. No pre-booking needed.
– DIG: An Archaeological Adventure – Saturday and Sunday. Free entry after 2pm. Pre-book online, numbers are limited.
– Fairfax House – Saturday and Sunday. Limited; pre-book.
– Get Cycling – Saturday. Hire a bike for free for 5 hours. Pre-booking required.
– Holgate Windmill – Saturday and Sunday. Tour of York’s only surviving windmill. Pre-booking not required.
– JORVIK Viking Centre – Saturday and Sunday. Free entry after 2pm. Pre-book online.
– Lost Earth Adventures, Brimham Rocks – Saturday and Sunday. 3-hour climbing & abseiling session. Maximum 2 people per booking. Pre-booking required by email or telephone.
– The Hole in Wand – Saturday and Sunday – Pre-booking required
– The York Dungeon – 28th January to 31st January – Book online
– William’s Den – Saturday and Sunday – Book online
– Wizard Walk of York – Saturday – Book online
– York Army Museum – Saturday and Sunday – Pre-booking not required
– York Art Gallery – Saturday and Sunday – Pre-booking not required
– York Castle Museum – Saturday and Sunday – Pre-booking preferred
– York Explore Library, Map Attack! – Lego City of Wonder – Saturday – Pre-booking not required.
– York Mansion House – Sat 29 Jan-Sun 30 Jan, 10.30am to 5pm (last admission 4.30pm). Pre-booking not required.
– York Minster – Climb the tower! Saturday and Sunday. Free entry. Pre-booking required on the day.
– York Theatre Royal – Saturday tours of the building. Pre-booking is required.
– York’s Chocolate Story – Saturday and Sunday – First tours are free. Also 20% off additional admissions throughout the whole weekend. Pre-booking not required.
– Yorkshire Museum – Saturday and Sunday – Pre-booking recommended