JORVIK Viking Festival 2022
The Vikings are back for a real-life JORVIK Viking Festival in 2022. They will once again be pitching their tents in central York in May for five days of living history, hands-on fun, craft workshops and many other activities.
Here’s our pick of the very best things for families to see and do at the 2022 JORVIK Viking Festival, all taking place in York city centre from Saturday 28th May to Wednesday 1st June 2022. Many of the activities are free – hooray! – and all of them are fun. The Viking encampment, Poo Day, March to Coppergate and Best Beard Contest are our top picks, but here are all of the highlights:
– Viking Encampment, Saturday 28 May – Wednesday 1 June 10am-4pm, Parliament Street, York -A chance to meet the Vikings who have gathered in the heart of Jorvik (Viking York) – learn about their trades, see their crafts in action and get a selfie or two! Free event.
– City Centre Stage, Saturday 28 May – Wednesday 1 June 10am-4pm, Parliament Street, York – Three saga-themed storytelling sessions plus have-a-go sword-fighting workshops all day. Free event.
– Annual Strongest Viking Competition, Saturday 28 May 11am, Parliament Street, York – With hammer-holding, leg-wrestling, hand-to-hand combat and more, cheer on your favourite Viking champion at this family-friendly contest. Free event.
– March to Coppergate, Saturday 28 May 1.30pm-2pm, Deans Park – See and hear hundreds of Viking warriors as they muster in their fearsome armies next to York Minster before marching through the city to Coppergate, their war cries echoing around the streets. Free event.
– Best Beard, Saturday 28 May 3pm, Parliament Street, York – This fun competition has become something of a cult highlight, drawing huge crowds and some very competitive participants! Young or old, male or female – all are encouraged to enter and try to win the highly prized beard trophies. Homemade beards are permitted! Free event.
– The JORVIK Games, Saturday 28 May 6.45pm, The Eye of York – A brand new event for 2022! Who has what it takes to be crowned Jorvik Champion 2022? Four teams of intrepid warriors nominate their champions to complete challenges of skill, strength, nerve and wit – and occasionally, treachery. Expect combat, impressive feats of endurance and plenty of laughs as you choose a team and cheer them to victory in this family-friendly spectacular. Tickets: £15 for adults, £11.00 for concessions, and free for children under 3. Prebooking is essential – this event will sell out!
– 10th Century Traders Saturday 28 May – Monday 30 May, Guildhall/St. Sampsons – Meet 10th century traders from all over the Viking world, soak up the atmosphere and explore stalls selling Viking goods, from hand-crafted weapons to authentic jewellery and much more! Ticket Price: Adult £3; Concession £2; Family x4 £8.
– Meet the Vikings, Sunday 29 May, 1pm-5pm, 29/31 Coney Street, York – This year the JORVIK Learning Team has teamed up with Viking interpreters from other world-class museums outside the UK. Join Vikings from York, Dublin, Stavanger and Copenhagen for a drop-in afternoon of activities, storytelling and crafting demonstrations. Free event.
28th May to 1st June 2022 – Visit the JORVIK website