York Residents Festival is one of our favourite weekends of the year because it’s a chance to visit lots of York’s top spots for Yorkshire’s favourite price: free! Take the opportunity to be a tourist in your own town and visit all those places that you’ve been meaning to go to but just haven’t got round to yet. There will be special offers running at restaurants, cafes and shops, too, and it’s all happening on Saturday 27th and Sunday 28th January 2018.
York Residents Festival is open to all York residents and students with a valid YorkCard or student ID. You need one card per person to gain free admission to atttractions and take advantage of the special offers. Some of the attractions and events need pre-booking, so check before you turn up! It pays to be organised. Speaking of which, it’s worth checking that you know where your YorkCards are, and making sure that they’re up to date! If you need a new one, they’re available from most Explore York libraries.
Here are just some of the attractions offering free/discounted entry for York residents during York Residents Festival:
- Barley Hall: Saturday and Sunday, 10am to 4pm
- Beningbrough Hall: Saturday and Sunday, 11am to 3.30pm
- Castle Howard (grounds): Saturday and Sunday, 10am to 4pm
- City Cruises York boat trip: Saturday and Sunday, 11am, 12pm, 1pm, 2pm and 3pm
- Clifford’s Tower: Saturday and Sunday, 10am to 4pm
- DIG – An Archaeological Adventure: Saturday and Sunday, 10am to 5pm (limited places)
- Eden Camp: Saturday and Sunday, 10am to 5pm
- Explore York Library: Recreate York from Lego! Saturday, 10am to 4pm
- Fairfax House: Saturday (10am to 5pm) and Sunday (11am to 4pm)
- Holgate Windmill: Saturday and Sunday, 11am to 4pm
- JORVIK Viking Centre: Saturday and Sunday, 1pm to 5pm (last admission 4pm)
- The York Dungeon (10+): Saturday and Sunday, 12pm to 5pm, Monday to Wednesday 12pm to 4pm
- York Army Museum: Saturday and Sunday, 9am to 4pm (last admission 3.30pm)
- York Art Gallery: Saturday and Sunday, 10am to 5pm
- York Castle Museum: Saturday and Sunday, 9,30am to 5pm
- York’s Chocolate Story: Saturday and Sunday, 8.50am to 4pm (first five tours are free, then 1/3 off admission price)
- York Minster: Saturday and Sunday, 9am to 5pm
- York Motorsports Village: Free karting sessions; pre-booking required.
- Yorkshire Museum: Saturday and Sunday, 10am to 5pm
There are also some great restaurant and cafe offers throughout the weekend at some lovely places like Cut & Chase, Gusto, Pairings, Bills, Ambiente and more. Take a look at all the offers on the Visit York website.