Celebrate the spookiest time of the year in the most haunted city in Europe with a visit to York this October. With ghosts around every corner (possibly), where ghouls roam the snickelways and haunt Georgian townhouses and historic inns, York offers tricks, treats and spooky encounters for the whole family. It’s a city with a dark past, from volatile and violent Viking invasions to the Norman conquest and the Civil War.
This half term, there’s a hair-raising list of frights to be had across the city, from gentle ghost walks to proper scares at York’s top attractions. For older children and grown-ups who relish a fright, The York Dungeon is the place to be (brave souls: book a babysitter for the Dungeon Lates). For younger children, the York Dungeon Trick or Treat Tour is good fun (we’ve done it for the last couple of years – read our review here) and shouldn’t give them nightmares!
The Little Peasants City Walking Tour is 60 minutes of walking, laughing and learning and is suitable for all the family. So if your little peasants are too young (or too scared!) to venture inside the Dungeon, then join a silly walking tour and enjoy The York Dungeon’s humour outside on the streets in York! Pesky peasants will view well-known landmarks whilst learning about the history of York. You will see York’s most spectacular sights including Clifford’s Tower, York Minster and The Shambles, just to name a few. And don’t forget the many tales of tragedy, horror, hangings and ghosts…
Other family-friendly events in and around York this Halloween include Trick or Treat Chocolate Bar Making at York Cocoa Works, Hocus Pocus Halloween at Mother Shipton’s, Ghosts in the Gardens in York’s green spaces (free), a Trick or Treat Trek at York’s Chocolate Story and Hallowtween at York Maze.
Win a family ticket to the York Dungeon walking tour!
We’ve teamed up with York Dungeon to give one lucky family the chance to do the Little Peasants Walking Tour for themselves. You can enter in any or all of the following ways:
– Follow us on Instagram, like the post about this competition, tag a friend and comment ‘done’. For an extra entry, share to your Stories.
– Visit our Facebook page, like the post about this competition and comment ‘win’.
– Visit our Facebook group and comment ‘win’ on the post about this competition
– Follow us on Twitter and retweet the tweet about this competition
– Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and postcode
The competition closes at midnight on 20th October 2022 and the winner will be notified shortly thereafter.
The small print
– The prize is as described above
– Not transferable and no cash alternative
– One winner will be chosen at random from across our platforms and notified as to how they can redeem their prize