There’s a new event launching at Castle Howard and it’s happening this weekend! Autumn Harvest is the ideal way to celebrate the changing of the seasons and, as always, families are warmly welcomed.
With a nod to the traditional Feast of Michaelmas, which marks the beginning of Autumn and the shortening of days, Autumn Harvest & Flower Festival is a great day out for all the family and a seasonal feast for all the senses.
Experience stunning floral installations throughout the House that reflect the autumn landscape and the bounty of the harvest using seasonal flowers and produce. Designed by the team behind the extraordinary Christmas displays, Charlotte Lloyd Webber and her artistic designers, as well as local Yorkshire artists and crafters, expect a creative and lavish spectacle that showcases everything Autumn has to offer. Look out for a stunning centrepiece in the Octagon: a Michaelmas dragon breathing flames of wheat.
After exploring the House, head outside to enjoy:
- Displays of vintage tractors and farm machinery
- A trail of beautiful willow sculptures from Dragon Willow
- Traditional harvest games including apple bobbing, pumpkin bowling and other garden games
- Tours of the Castle Howard orchard
- Find out about Yorkshire’s incredible wildlife with Yorkshire Wildlife Trust at their charity stall
- Meeting the prickly residents, hedgehogs, with charity Hoggies Respite and learning what everyone can do to lend hedgehogs a helping hand.
- Learning about fruit growing with the Northern Fruit Group and getting tips on how to make your own delicious cider at home.
- Taking a Fungi Foray around the Grounds with mushroom mastermind Malcom Greaves who will help you discover the importance of fungi and answer that all-important question, ‘can we eat it?’
- Discovering the heritage hedgerows and their botanical secrets on a guided tour with Sloemotion, local makers of hedgerow drinks and delights, and then try their hedgerow gin.
- Sign up to a workshop with willow artist Anna & The Willow to create your own willow sculptures
- Treating yourself to harvest-themed menus and culinary treats across the restaurants and cafes