Head to Jorvik: Home and Abroad, in Coppergate for a Norse tale with a difference this summer – track down a devious thief by exploring the interactive Viking street and houses, picking up clues and solving puzzles along the way.
Can you be the valiant Viking hero who recovers Floki’s missing coins? To recover the missing coins, you’ll follow the trail of the pickpocket around the city of Jorvik, exploring the cess pits and middens of the Viking families. Hold our nose – this isn’t a task for the faint-hearted, but Floki will reward you handsomely!
As part of your trail, you will:
- Pick an outrageous Viking name (and get a badge to let everyone know your new title!)
- Make a beardy disguise (to conceal your true identity)
- Search for clues in the rubbish discarded by our busy Viking traders (expect all kinds of gross things!)
- Sort through gruesome animal bones to find out how these animals met their grisly ends
- Dissect a poo from the cess pit and find some nasty surprises (lovely!)
But that’s not all – you’ll meet Terry Deary and get a free book too!
All successful sleuths will get one-on-one time with everyone’s favourite Horrible Historian, Terry Deary, who will answer your questions and sign a complimentary Horrible Histories book. How good is that? And if that’s not enough to convince you, you can bask in the knowledge that the ticket sales go to raise funds for JORVIK Viking Centre, which was hit hard during the flooding and will reopen in 2017.
Revolting Vikings of JORVIK with Horrible Histories’ Terry Deary – York St Mary’s, Coppergate Centre, York YO1 9RN – 6th August 4.30pm to 7.30pm (each session lasts about an hour, starting at 15 minute intervals) – £10 per child including a Horrible Histories book, take home activities and 1 accompanying adult)