One of the most stunning events in York is back, and it’s raising funds for York’s most iconic landmark. This October, York Minster’s cavernous nave will be illuminated with a new sound and light projection, Platinum and Light. The new installation has been created by award-winning artists Ross Ashton and Karen Monid, who created the spectacular Northern Lights projection and sound artwork that ran at the Minster in October 2019.
The new show, which will run for eight nights from Thursday 20 to Thursday 27 October 2022, is inspired by Her Late Majesty The Queen’s Platinum Jubilee and uses precious metals through the ages, including gold, silver and platinum, to journey through key moments in York’s and the Minster’s history and their royal connections. Although it’s an evening event, there’s an earlier 6.30 pm showing on Sunday 23rd October which will also have a reduced capacity so might be the best option if you have younger children.
The event will help raise funds for the Minster’s current project to conserve the medieval St Cuthbert Window, which is one of the largest surviving narrative windows in Europe, and the stonework of the surrounding South Quire Transept.
Win a family ticket to Platinum and Light at York Minster!
We’ve teamed up with our friends at York Minster to give away one family ticket for Platinum and Light! You can enter in any or all of the following ways:
– Follow us on Instagram, like the post about this competition, tag a friend and comment ‘done’. For an extra entry, share to your Stories.
– Visit our Facebook page, like the post about this competition and comment ‘win’.
– Visit our Facebook group and comment ‘win’ on the post about this competition
– Follow us on Twitter and retweet the tweet about this competition
– Email email@example.com with your name and postcode
The competition closes at midnight on 14th October 2022 and the winner will be notified shortly thereafter.
Platinum and Light runs at York Minster from Thursday 20th October to Thursday 27th October 2022 – Tickets £7.50, family ticket for four £25 – yorkminster.org